Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Knocking 'Em Down

What you see now is more kitchen demolition. It took the better part of a few days to totally complete this. We did skip around quite a bit. Sometimes we'd work in here, then go rip up carpet or something. Then we'd come back to the kitchen.

The big ugly boxes on the ceiling came down, and that little wall came down as well. You can see the studs in this picture. I need to take another of all those studs gone. Now that the load is off that wall, it is totally opened up. Note the garage door placed smack dab in the kitchen. It's getting moved. Under the wallpaper was green paint and even uglier wallpaper.


 The bulkheads are big, empty boxes designed to lower the kitchen right over where the cabinets would be. I am sure this was stylish at some point. It is not anymore.

Taking those down was hard, hard work. I won't lie. This is where the demo really started to become not so fun. Matt said a tornado could wipe away the whole house, and all that would be left is this square in the middle of the kitchen where the boxes were built. All plywood and boards and sheet rock. 


 Once we took all that off, we literally had to cut the boards out to make it budge. It took awhile. But they are gone. And it enlarges the room so much.


 As I began taking off other paper and tile, I discovered the sheet rock was totally ruined under it. In several places. This is what led to the total gut job of the kitchen. Every single wall ended up coming down, and the ceiling too.There simply wasn't anything we could do to save it. The bright side is that now I have an entirely clean slate to work with. If you follow me on Pinterest, you have seen the enormous amount of kitchen pictures I have pinned. I have one particular picture all picked out for the layout that should work almost perfectly. We shall see.

And the trash pile. My tender little hands were very tired after cleaning all of this up.

I hope you are enjoying our journey so far. There are still demo pics to come of the rest of the house. Then, it will be on to the fun part, putting it all back together!

Back off, folks. I got this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment