Monday, January 7, 2013

A New Year Story

OK, so now that we have lived here awhile, I have been asked what else we have done to this house. I suppose we should share.
 - The bathroom is done
 - The backsplash is up
 - The apple tree produced a couple hundred pounds of apples that had to be dealt with
 - My grandparents provided us with enough produce to feed an army- that required canning and freezing and an entire new deep freeze to hold it
- The wallpaper in the basement is down
 -The basement is painted
 - The lights are up
 - The curtains and blinds are hanging
 - The rugs are in place
 - The pictures are on the wall
 - The sandbox is built
 - As of today, the swingset is up.

Well, that list makes me feel better about what we've done with our time recently. Unfortunately, we had a computer issue and the in-process pics of these amazing home renovations have been lost. I shall however, take some after pics this week and share. And in the next couple weeks, we shall be hanging our baseboard. As I am sure there will be drama. And I will make sure there is a play-by-play of the drama shared for all to see :)

I digress.

I am sharing a quick peek at our bedroom. I intend to take some new pictures tomorrow, so the curtains and pictures are in there. You know, something slightly more recent.
So now, onto the New Year. 2012 taught both Matt and I plenty of new skills. We have turned from somewhat reluctant in home repair to confident DIY folks. We look around this house and see how much has been accomplished in such a short time, and it gives us a lot of faith that we can keep it going. Some projects are hard. Three children greatly increase the time it required, as helpful as they try to be. We are still deciding what our next project will be that we tackle. Maybe some outdoor play spaces, such as a new deck. Maybe we will build some furniture for spaces that need it. Maybe we should just clean out the garage so two cars could actually fit in it. (No joke, the sheer amount of kid crap in there is astounding and takes up an entire car stall space.)

My goal was always to share these events with all my friends. I have been so blessed to have so many amazing people that actually care what we are doing here. We have fabulous family up here that has helped us in more ways than I can count. It is simply awesome to be so near my parents, who help up in any way they can, and my grandparents, who take every opportunity to stuff my kids with candy that they can. I miss the city greatly, and my sister, who would have lived so close to me had we stayed. And someday we may go back. But for now, our story continues in tiny town USA.

 So bear with me, folks. I have big plans for the new year. I intend to write more often and share more frequently. Tomorrow there will be more pictures, and more stories. But for now, I shall bid you all good night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment